- Theory of mind: What chess and drug dealers can teach you about manipulation
- Dreams are a precious resource. Don’t let advertisers hack them
- 4 Sneaky Ways You Can Use Psychology to Get What You Want From a Conversation
- Fresh Cambridge Analytica leak ‘shows global manipulation is out of control’
- Media Manipulation, Strategic Amplification, and Responsible Journalism
We influence each other in many ways besides pure reason. What’s the moral difference between persuasion and manipulation?
From grandmasters to drug dealers, people who make deft use of "theory of mind" can remain several steps ahead of their rivals.
«Every social interaction is a game of chess, trying to get inside someone’s head to navigate what they are thinking or what they will do.»
Kant argued that persuasion was a product of manipulation and deception. But it can also be a force for good in civic life
An influential study relies too heavily on news media reporting—which has only recently acknowledged the social media manipulation problem at all.
Company’s work in 68 countries laid bare with release of more than 100,000 documents
These very small tweaks make you dramatically more persuasive.
Dream-hacking techniques can help us create, heal and have fun. They could also become tools of commercial manipulation
«Since sleep loss is known to increase risk-taking behaviour, one might expect to be hit with targeted ads for online gambling.»
I show how price manipulation to liquidate traders is done in cryptocurrency markets. I point fingers at people. Thanks to Coinstrats for allowing me to use their order book data for the analysis. …
«”, alleging that Amazon will imminently accept Bitcoin payments. All important information in the article comes from an unnamed “insider”. 36 hours later, Amazon will deny the article wholesale.»
This is a crib of a talk that Data & Society Founder and President danah boyd gave at the Online News Association conference in Austin…
The digital manipulation of video may make the current era of “fake news” seem quaint.
Aeon is a magazine of ideas and culture. Psyche is our sister magazine focused on the human condition. Visit http://aeon.co and http://psyche.co for more.
Learn from the world’s greatest thinkers. Join us on https://www.youtube.com/c/bigthink.
Exploring the American idea through ambitious, essential reporting and storytelling. Of no party or clique since 1857. http://theatlantic.com
Everything you need to know to start and grow your business now. Sign up for our daily newsletters: http://on.inc.com/I4aFCye
Where tomorrow is realized || Sign up for our newsletters: http://WIRED.com/newsletter
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Which sources does Refind monitor on manipulation?
We monitor hundreds of sources on manipulation, including Aeon+Psyche, Big Think, The Atlantic, Inc., WIRED, and many more.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who uses Refind?
100k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.