Privacy is important
We only store a minimal amount of data and ask for minimal permissions to provide our service to you.
All data is securely stored in a Postgres database hosted on Heroku.
Private / public
There are two ways to add links to Refind: Save (public) and Read Soon (private). Saves are visible on your profile and may show up in other people’s feeds. Your reading list, on the other hand, is private.
We offer optional browser extensions for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox – Refind is fully functional without.
Our browser button allows you to add links directly from your browser: you can save links (public), or you can add them to your reading list (private).
The extension does not send any data to our servers unless you click the Save or Read Soon button.
On Chrome, we offer an optional toolbar which shows information about the current URL, such as who of your friends has saved it, and allows to add links directly.
If you have it enabled (default), the extension sends a request to our servers on every page you visit (the current URL), and our servers respond with the information shown in the toolbar, e.g., number of saves. You can disable the toolbar entirely, or for certain domains, in which case no request is sent to our servers. Click on the settings icon (cog) in the toolbar for the settings menu.
Requests are not stored in our database.
Refind offers an optional integration with Google search. When you search on Google, it highlights links you or your friends saved.
If you have it enabled (default), the extension sends a request to our servers when you search on Google (the current URL), and our servers respond with the best match. You can disable it in the settings.
Requests are not stored in our database.
New Tab is a separate extension available for Chrome. It shows you your Refind feed every time you open a new tab in Chrome.
Incognito / Private Mode
All extensions are disabled in Incognito/Private Mode.
We only ask for minimal permissions.
You can sign up for Refind with your Twitter account. Refind only asks for read permission (thus, it cannot post on your behalf). It fetches your profile (name, photo, etc.) and the people you follow on Twitter in order to fill your profile on Refind and to connect you with the friends on Refind.
Optionally, you can also import links from your Tweets.
Optionally you can connect Pocket to save the best links you’ve read on Pocket to Refind.
Refind only asks for read permission and your links from Pocket do not get imported automatically: you choose which links you want to import.
Optionally you can connect Buffer to share your links on social media. Refind requires write permission in order to add your links to the Buffer queue. Learn more
- Refind records certain requests and transactions in log files. This log data is used for troubleshooting, statistics, quality assurance, and to monitor system security and can be analyzed to that end. Server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. Refind can publish anonymous statistics under the condition that no personally identifiable information can be derived from such statistics.
Refind only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Refind in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Refind, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share non-personally identifiable information (such as anonymous usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third parties to help them understand the usage patterns for certain Refind services.
- We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
- We restrict access to personal information to Refind employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for Refind or provide any personal information about yourself to us. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we take steps to remove that information. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this agreement, or if you are aware of any abuse of these terms, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refind Inc., Rainstrasse 38f, 8808 Pfaeffikon SZ, Switzerland
Company registered in Switzerland under CHE-322.432.450