The Best of TheSwaddle
5 most popular TheSwaddle articles, as voted by our community.
The latest in health, gender, and culture in India — and why it matters. TS Studios brings our storytelling and point of view to original podcasts and films.
TheSwaddle on Sexuality
What Consent Culture Gets Wrong About Sex
In sex, we sometimes consent to the things we don’t want. When power dynamics precede us, what happens to desire?
TheSwaddle on Sleep
The Human Mind Wasn't Meant to Stay Awake Past Midnight
Nocturnal wakefulness makes the brain inclined towards addictive behavior, suicidal ideation, and other high-risk situations.
TheSwaddle on Technology
How Technology Is Helping Decode Animal Language
Scientists have been trying to "translate" animal languages -- an ambitious project that could shape our relationship with different species.
«So many of the attempts to teach primates human language or sign language in the 20th century were underpinned by an assumption that language is unique to humans, and that if we were to prove animals possess language we would have to prove that they could learn human language. And in retrospect, that’s a very human-centered view,»
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
Why Celebrity Deaths Often Feel Like Personal Tragedies
“...it can feel like losing someone close to us because they may have been integral in some of our happiest or saddest moments.”
Why Parents Are Statistically Less Happy Than Non-Parents
Gendered expectations and a lack of supportive policies and resources erode parents', particularly mothers', life satisfaction, experts say.
«Fathers who step up to meet the new expectations placed on them are increasingly rewarded with public praise for their commitment»
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks the most relevant links from around the web for you. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets the most relevant links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, mark as read, read later, «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.