The Best of Backpacker Magazine
The most popular Backpacker Magazine articles, as voted by our community.
The outdoors at your doorstep.
Backpacker Magazine on Nature
My Coworkers Are Polar Bears. Here's What It's Like.
After some amazing interactions with polar bears, Alysa McCall of Polar Bears International decided to dedicate her career to conserving this animal and its ecosystem.
Backpacker Magazine on Outdoors
Forest Bathing Is Your Ticket to Wellness—and Better Hiking, Too
A slow walk through the woods has psychological and physiological benefits—and it could teach you a few things about hiking, too.
Backpacking Has Changed a Lot Over the Past 50 Years. These Photos Prove It.
In celebration of 50 years of trail beta and inspiration, we look back on our favorite spots through the moments we chose to capture.
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
I Survived Being Lost For Nine Days
In June 2021, Andrew Devers disappeared after setting out for a dayhike in Washington’s Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks the most relevant links from around the web for you. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets the most relevant links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, mark as read, read later, «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.