14 Fun Facts About Roller Coasters
For starters, one of the oldest coasters in America carried coal before it carried passengers
More from Smithsonian Magazine
You'll Need a Microscope to See These Miniature Masterpieces
Sometimes painted with a single eyelash, Willard Wigan's tiny sculptures fit in the eye of a needle
Why Walking on Legos Hurts More Than Walking on Fire or Ice
Everything you wanted to know about the science and history of stomping on the toy blocks
How Bird Collecting Evolved Into Bird-Watching
In the early 1900s, newfound empathy for avian creatures helped wildlife observation displace dispassionate killing
Designers Build a Provocative Road Map for World Peace
Cooper Hewitt’s new show taps into the collective consciousness of activists, app developers, artists and architects to envision a way forward
These Trailblazers Were the Only Women in the Room Where It Happened
A new book spotlights 100 historical photographs of lone women hidden among groups of men
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks the most relevant links from around the web for you. Picking only a handful of links means focusing on what’s relevant and useful. We favor timeless pieces—links with long shelf-lives, articles that are still relevant one month, one year, or even ten years from now. These lists of the best resources on any topic are the result of years of careful curation.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets the most relevant links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, mark as read, read later, «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.