The Best of gal-dem
7 most popular gal-dem articles, as voted by our community.
Award winning online and print magazine committed to sharing the perspectives of people of colour from marginalised genders ✨
gal-dem on Climate Activism
Just how useful are climate concerts?
Music has a long history of mixing with social activism. Are concerts like Climate Live a logical move for the environmental justice movement?
gal-dem on Fashion
How representation politics mask fashion’s unethical underbelly
Seemingly diverse and inclusive branding is being used to divert our attention away from unethical and unsustainable business practices and shopping habits.
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
Nairobi’s formerly ‘white-only’ libraries are now the centre of Kenya’s literary renaissance -
How a group of Nairobi citizens are working to bring the city’s oldest library back to life, and back to those who need it most.
Omani food is a reflection of our rich, layered history
Nestled on the south-east peninsula of Arabia, Oman and its colourful, eclectic cuisine tells the story of the country's past and people.
Stuffed: the new era of British food writing is here
Tara Joshi speaks to Angela Hui, Ruby Tandoh and Jonathan Nunn about the changing landscape of food journalism.
Long before weighted blankets, there were Turkish yorgans
Idil Galip explores the weight of a dying craft – yorgancılık, which is the making of colourful Turkish blankets.
'The Harder They Fall' is the old West on black people's terms
By not pandering to white audiences and invoking the diaspora in its music and culture, this film is a masterclass in autonomy
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web that make you smarter, tailored to your interests. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.