The Best of Hazlitt
8 most popular Hazlitt articles, as voted by our community.
Essays, Literature, Opinions, & More. Read with us.
Hazlitt on Addiction
Magic Eraser Juice
Driving an ambulance in a opioid-torn city in the age of Narcan.
Hazlitt on History
The Big Coin Heist
It was a piece of currency so large it seemed unimaginable anyone would try to steal it. But that was part of the appeal.
Hazlitt on Sociology
The Legion Lonely
Over the past few decades, loneliness has reached almost epidemic levels, with men uniquely suffering its effects. How and why has isolation become such a threat?
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
The Magic of Alleyways
An ode to a vibrant public commons.
The World We're Losing
Ecological grief captures a newly defined set of emotions, all connected to our personal relationship to the natural world.
The Memory Weavers
Transforming craft into an act of protest against indifference is something women have done for centuries.
An eccentric monk’s singular scrap cathedral reveals the chaos and genius of his mind.
Rothko at the Inauguration
A story of America in three scams.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web that make you smarter, tailored to your interests. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.