The Best of Tom Vander Ark
The most popular Tom Vander Ark articles, as voted by our community.
Committed to helping others learn and build just and sustainable communities. Latest book: Difference Making at the Heart of Learning http://amzn.to/3xaa8KP
Tom Vander Ark on Instructional Design
Why Instructional Design Matters In Your Content Plan
By: Brady Kalb. A strong content plan should prioritize the needs of your learners. See how instructional design principles can help you craft a more effective course.
Tom Vander Ark on Learning
How Deep is Their Learning?
Deeper learning isn’t found within the practice of project-based instruction, personalized instruction or competency-based instruction but how the learner applies that instruction.
Tom Vander Ark on LMS
Organizing a Modern Edtech Stack for Modern Pedagogy, Part II: The LMS
By: Eric Nentrup. In part two of a series of investigating your edtech stack, Eric outlines how to evaluate your LMS.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web that make you smarter, tailored to your interests. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.
Tom Vander Ark on Social Justice
We Shall Overcome: The Social Emotional Impact of the Pandemic and Racial Injustice on Students of Color
Antonio Boyd reflects on Black History Month and the social emotional impact on students of color.