The Best of thoughtbot
6 most popular thoughtbot articles, as voted by our community.
thoughtbot is your expert design and development partner. Let's make your product and team a success. Find us at http://thoughtbot.social/@thoughtbot
thoughtbot on a11y
Alt vs Figcaption
Describing images with the alt attribute and figcaption element.
thoughtbot on Design Thinking
The Product Design Sprint
A Product Design Sprint (invented by Google Ventures) is a 5-phase exercise...
thoughtbot on Functional Programming
Iterative Development in Elm: HTTP
Fake out your HTTP requests for a tighter iteration cycle.
Conditionally handling events in Elm
Learn how to filter events in Elm and create an onEnter event handler!
thoughtbot on Rails
How We Test Rails Applications
I’m frequently asked what it takes to begin testing Rails applications. The...
thoughtbot on Typescript
TypeScript: Stop Using 'any', There's a Type For That
Chances are you’ve worked with the any type in TypeScript. It’s widely overused, and subtly dangerous. Let’s explore why you should avoid it, and when you might truly need to use it.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web that make you smarter, tailored to your interests. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.