This year's report looks into the business prospects for media companies, how they are exploring TikTok, audio products and generative AI.
Shared by 39, including Mathew Ingram, Rasmus Kleis Nielsen (is offline), Jay Rosen
«first, seeking truth and reporting it with, second, a desire to serve the whole public in an impartial fashion, and, third, moral clarity on important but often divisive issues – but where one, in practice, will have to engage in trade-offs between the latter two.»
This annual report, based on a survey of senior executives, looks at some of the issues facing journalism in 2021 and beyond.
The most comprehensive study of news consumption, based on a YouGov survey of over 93,000 online news consumers in 46 markets.
Last year’s report contained some positive signs for the news industry, with higher consumption and rising trust amidst a second wave of Coronavirus lockdowns. Many traditional news brands seemed to…
«In a number of countries, especially those with strong and independent public service media, we have seen greater consumption of trusted news brands.»
The end of third-party cookie tracking could be a huge issue for media companies that rely on digital ad spend, but it could also be an opportunity, Paul Herman writes.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
100k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.