The Best of New Lines Magazine
7 most popular New Lines Magazine articles, as voted by our community.
The best writing from around the world. Longform essays run daily online and quarterly in print. http://lnk.bio/newlinesmag
New Lines Magazine on Business
The Oil Thieves of Nigeria
How a violent conflict in the resource-rich Niger Delta has wrought ecological and economic devastation for a generation
New Lines Magazine on Islam
A Schoolgirl's First Day in Iran's Islamic Republic
An Iranian woman recalls the trauma she and other girls experienced in the aftermath of the 1979 revolution
New Lines Magazine on Solarpunk
What if We Cancel the Apocalypse?
How the aesthetic, utopian yet pragmatic movement of Solarpunk reimagines a future without a climate catastrophe
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
The Last of the Bougainvillea Years
A poet from Tripoli was displaced in Dubai for a decade, but suddenly it felt like home as another move, this time across the globe, was imminent
A Low-Budget Sci-Fi Film Shatters Iran’s Sacred Red Lines
How a spoof on the Persian classic Shahnameh satirizes the Islamic Republic
In Egypt, Foreigners Dominate Belly Dancing
Yielding to religious conservatism and other trends, the native stars have ceded the stage to immigrants
The Realm of the Devil and the Destroyers of Rome
How the north came into its allure and the south lost its glory
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks the most relevant links from around the web for you. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets the most relevant links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, mark as read, read later, «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.