The Best of The Bureau Local
The most popular The Bureau Local articles, as voted by our community.
The Bureau Local is a collaborative, investigative journalism network in the UK. Part of @TBIJ, we tell stories that matter to communities.
The Bureau Local on Sexuality
‘Please Acknowledge the Dick’: Inside a catfishing factory
Remote workers are being paid a pittance to play the roles of wholly fictional eager and unsatisfied women messaging men who sign up for sex-chat services
The Bureau Local on Sports
How Qatar hacked the World Cup
Critics who threatened to expose wrongdoing by Qatar were targeting as part of huge hacking operation
These are some all-time favorites with Refind users.
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism is an independent, not-for-profit media organisation that holds power to account. We find the facts to expose wrongs and spark change. We tell the stories that matter.
The Reaper Presidency: Obama’s 300th drone strike in Pakistan: The Bureau o
Six times more CIA drone strikes in Pakistan under Obama than under Bush, according to Bureau data.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web that make you smarter, tailored to your interests. is one of more than 10k sources we monitor.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.