The Remote Leader’s Guide to Managing a Team
Remote work is becoming increasingly common. While some enjoy the flexibility that home-based office work can offer, others develop a sense of isolation and pressure to be available on a 24/7 basis. Matthew Barby, a London-based executive at HubSpot, has plenty of experience managing teams spread across continents and time zones. He offers some of the best practices he has developed over the years in an informative article. Leaders and employees who regularly interact with virtual team members can learn from his insights.
More from Matthew Howells-Barby Ξ mhb.eth
Life Beyond Email: Chatbot Marketing
Chatbots, introduced just a few years ago, have already become familiar tools in customer service, and their capabilities and popularity are only increasing. Marketers who aren’t yet up to speed on chatbots will appreciate Matthew Barby’s clear and useful primer. Serving as the director of acquisition marketing at HubSpot, co-founder of the SEO community Traffic Think Tank and co-host of the Decrypting Crypto podcast, Barby concisely explains how chatbots work, the steps involved in building one and some convincing reasons why you should.
What is Refind?
Every day Refind picks 5 links from around the web for every user, tailored to the user’s interests. Picking only a handful of links means focusing on what’s relevant and useful. We favor timeless pieces—links with long shelf-lives, articles that are still relevant one month, one year, or even ten years from now. These lists of the best resources on any topic are the result of years of careful curation.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who uses Refind?
200k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating.
Is Refind free?
Yes, it’s free!
How can I sign up?
Head over to our homepage and sign up by email or with your Twitter or Google account.