- What do we do with the science of terrible men?
- White People Love Calling Other White People "White People"
- The Genius of Toni Morrison’s Only Short Story
- Rihanna and Beyoncé Can’t Save Us: Celebrating Black Wealth Is a Distraction
- ‘The history of fantasy is racialized’: Lord of the Rings series sparks debate over race
Shared by 27, including Faik Ersoy, reshmasaujani
I can understand why we cling to stories of Black people thriving. But this way of thinking ignores what has been built on our backs
«Celebrating these achievements instead of examining them is also a distraction from the ways in which the system is not working for us.»
Being both trans and a person of color comes with a unique set of challenges. Collectively working toward overcoming these barriers is one way this community fights for survival.
Shared by 108
«more often than not, the language of racial critique is being co-opted in order to bolster some other, quite unrelated critique, sometimes unthinkingly but often cynically and in bad faith. All sense of intellectual coherence dissolves into a nebulous sludge of weaponised sanctimon»
Introduction of characters of color into Tolkien’s fantasy world has some fans complaining but as others point out, it’s not less authentic to cast Black actors
When networking, women and people in racial and ethnic minority groups can benefit from calling out their identity
In the extraordinary “Recitatif,” Morrison withholds crucial details of racial identity, making the reader the subject of her experiment.
The pioneers of social genetics were racists and eugenicists: should we give up on the science they founded altogether?
«Yes, all humans are 99.9 per cent the same, but the remaining 0.1 per cent makes a difference for many life outcomes that we care about»
As Republican lawmakers push to ban critical race theory, here’s how the class changed the mind of one conservative Mississippian.
From insurance payments to courtroom sentencing, AI makes increasingly complex decisions about our lives. And our belief that data is neutral allows algorithms to get away with murder. The fight back…
The shameful story of how 1 million black families have been ripped from their farms
Today's news is yesterday's gossip | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pursuing stories with moral force. Send us things: http://propub.li/3ewuUKH. Newsletter: http://propub.li/2Opjiys. Mastodon: https://newsie.social/@ProPublica
We're watching Big Tech. Send tips: http://themarkup.org/tips. Subscribe: http://mrkup.org/Klaxon. Support our work: http://themarkup.org/donate. Mastodon: http://newsie.social/@themarkup
A digital magazine about everything human through anthropological discoveries, thinking, and ideas: Subscribe to our newsletter: http://bitly.ws/s592
Awesome discoveries. Expert insights. Science that shapes the world.
How does Refind curate?
It’s a mix of human and algorithmic curation, following a number of steps:
- We monitor 10k+ sources and 1k+ thought leaders on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
- In addition, our users save links from around the web using our Save buttons and our extensions.
- Our algorithm processes 100k+ new links every day and uses external signals to find the most relevant ones, focusing on timeless pieces.
- Our community of active users gets 5 links every day, tailored to their interests. They provide feedback via implicit and explicit signals: open, read, listen, share, add to reading list, save to «Made me smarter», «More/less like this», etc.
- Our algorithm uses these internal signals to refine the selection.
- In addition, we have expert curators who manually curate niche topics.
The result: lists of the best and most useful articles on hundreds of topics.
How does Refind detect «timeless» pieces?
We focus on pieces with long shelf-lives—not news. We determine «timelessness» via a number of metrics, for example, the consumption pattern of links over time.
How many sources does Refind monitor?
We monitor 10k+ content sources on hundreds of topics—publications, blogs, news sites, newsletters, Substack, Medium, Twitter, etc.
Which sources does Refind monitor on race?
We monitor hundreds of sources on race, including Gawker, ProPublica, The Markup, SAPIENS, Scientific American, and many more.
Who uses Refind?
100k+ smart people start their day with Refind. To learn something new. To get inspired. To move forward. Our apps have a 4.9/5 rating. Learn more
Can I submit a link?
Indirectly, by using Refind and saving links from outside (e.g., via our extensions).
How can I report a problem?
When you’re logged-in, you can flag any link via the «More» (...) menu. You can also report problems via email to email@example.com